Monday, July 23, 2007

everything is fine

I was at the Market, purchasing sandwhiches for the Algonquin Round Table.

The cashier (a pretty girl, I suppose, if one cared to notice) looked me over and said:

"You're the well dressed one."

I don't want to know why, but it made everything alright for a moment. She could have guessed Selfish, Hypocritical, Spiritually Lazy. She might even have detected Haggard, Lascivious, and Passive-Agressive. Certainly she couldn't have missed Short and, most obvious of all, Pretentious, and Philandering. But she didn't mention these things. The identity she chose to identify had to do with clothing. And as it had no undercurrent of Dandy, or Hopeless Slave to Fashion, I felt rewarded.

How shallow do you have to be that the lable "Well Dressed" fills you? First with a childish sense of accomplishment; second with a brief (really almost instantly thwarted) thrill of sexual possibility; finally with a feeling of gratitude that we live in a world where people who don't know each other resort either to kindness or breezy indifference to grease the gears of social interaction.

So there I am. The well dressed one. For some of You (path crossers of various degrees) that's all there is, and I'm fine with that.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

You know what zz top says. They really go crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man.
Am I kicked out of the round table? Was I ever in it?
Right now I am Een reactie plaatsen over: leavings

12:28 PM  
Blogger s.k.namanny said...

To tell the truth, this experience happened a year ago.
Just getting around to it.

I guess it's more recent than some of these other posts, which where outdated in 10,000 BC.

And YES, you have a seat reserved forever at the round table.

12:15 AM  
Blogger Kirstie said...

If the name fits, wear it!

7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home